When moving to Finland, you need to get a residence permit and take care of a number of registrations at different offices.

Right of Residence for EU/EEA Citizens

The EU / EEA citizens can enter Finland freely without a visa or a residence permit. If you intend to live and work in Finland for longer than 90 days, you then need to register your right to reside in Finland at the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) after your arrival.

Starting Up Smoothly, a chatbot service for foreign entrepreneurs in Finland helps you with questions relating to residence permits, setting up a company, or taxes.

Residence Permit for Citizens outside of EU/EEA

Entrepreneurs coming to Finland with an innovative business idea and scalable business model can apply for a Startup Permit. The detailed criteria and information on how to send your request can be found on the Startup Permit page.

If your business is more conventional (consulting, restaurant, etc.) then the Entrepreneur’s Permit is for you.

Personal Identity Code

After arriving, you will need a Finnish personal identity code which is used for identification purposes, for example in banks, in Finland. If you have not received a Finnish personal code earlier (i.e. when you have applied for a residence permit or registration as an EU citizen), you can request it at a Local Register Office, Tax Administration, Finnish missions in foreign countries, or the Immigration Service.

Place of Residence

After you have gotten an accommodation, make sure that you (and your family members) are registered in a place of residence in Finland at your Local Register Office. This depends on the time of your residence. A place of residence is needed to access the services that municipalities provide only to their own residents.

You can find more information on relocating to the Turku region from step two of the Startup Kit.

Getting a Finnish Tax Card

In order to start earning income in Finland, you will need to obtain a personal tax card from the Finnish tax office. It is good to keep in mind that taxation in Finland is progressive which means that an entrepreneur’s income tax calculation might include both earned income and capital income. Read more about taxation when arriving in Finland from overseas.

Finland’s tax authority online service Vero includes e.g. a tax calculator and a chat service that can help figure out answers to your taxation-related questions.

Explore other sections of the Startup Kit